Monday, August 4, 2008

The weather has been more like fall than summer recently, so I've been trying out some cold weather dishes. The original recipe was stuffed in a pumpkin instead of including the puree. I just baked it in a bowl like I do extra bread stuffing at Thanksgiving. Your time may vary depending on how wet you like your stuffing. The family liked it. I used mixed hazelnuts and pecans instead of walnuts, and regular raisins instead of golden ones.
Fall Fruit Stuffing
serves 6
1 can pumpkin puree
6 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dark rum (optional)

2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
In a large oven-proof bowl, stir together first 8 ingredients. Season with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and mix well.
Heat oven to 350 degrees, bake for about an hour.
variation: Pumpkin puree may be omitted, and stuffing served spooned over pound cake or pumpkin bread, and garnished with whipped cream.
Reviews^^TRACYSUE Nov. 11, 2003 I experimented with this at our Halloween party, I served it with sliced pumpkin pound cake. It was devoured. I did have a little left that would not fit in the pumpkin, I warmed it up and served it over vanilla ice cream, yum-yum. I can't wait to serve this for Thanksgiving.^^ ;; CYNKUEN Oct. 28, 2004 Beautiful presentation and delicious! I mixed the leftovers in oatmeal for breakfast the next day. It did take me longer than the recipe stated to get the pumpkin soft enough to mix in.;;
original recipe (stuffed in a pumpkin instead of including pumpkin puree) from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Stuffed-Pumpkin/Detail.aspx

No comments: